Swimwear Shape Guide
Feel confident and relaxed on holiday with our detailed guide to the perfect swimwear for you. No matter your shape or style, we've got all the options - and your figure - perfectly covered.
Shop all swimwear
The most enviable of figures, the hourglass shape consists of a small, well-defined waist with equally proportioned, shoulders, bust and hips.
Celeb comparison: Scarlett Johansson.
- Matching bikini sets will keep your top and bottom half perfectly in proportion.
- Underwired styles will offer more support, as well as beautifully enhance your shape.
- A low halter style will show off your cleavage, whilst ruching around the middle will emphasise a small waist.
- A jersey wrap dress will accentuate the waist and bust, while kaftans will work well when drawn in at the waist.
The pear shape carries more weight around the lower half of the body on the hips, thighs and bum. With narrow shoulders and a smaller bust, the pear should search for swimwear that balances out her proportions.
Celeb comparison: Béyonce Knowles
- Bikinis should draw attention away from the lower half and up toward the chest - an uplifting style to boost the bust should do the trick nicely.
- Low cut briefs will also draw attention upwards.
- Swimsuits made from control fabrics, with drapes or ruching in the design, will help to achieve a slimmer look by adding support and hiding problem areas.
- Sarongs are the perfect cover up for pears thanks to their versatility - tie around those areas that make you self-conscious, drawing attention to your upper half in the process.
Curvy in the hips and thighs, yet small on top, the apple shape should invest in swimwear that balances proportions and offers fabulous coverage across the bottom half.
Celeb comparison: Jennifer Hudson
- Opt for a bikini with detail on the bust - this will focus attention away from other areas.
- Tankinis are a good choice for those who wish to hide their stomach.
- If you feel most comfortable with more coverage, fold over bikini bottoms do a fabulous jobs of hiding hips and stomach.
- A one-piece is a great way to add proportion to curves.
- Vertical prints will serve to elongate the body.
- Empire lines will work to enhance the narrowest point of your waist.
- A jersey dress offers the perfect cover up - a wrap over style will enhance the neckline and focus attention to your waist.
The triangle shape is wider on the shoulders and torso, narrower on the hips. The triangle should select swimwear that highlights the bottom half of their figure.
Celeb comparison: Angelina Jolie
- Look for bikini bottoms with side tie - such detail will help to add curves.
- Opt for sweetheart necklines to take the focus away from your shoulders.
- Look for swimsuits with hidden support, such as underwiring.
- Trousers are a great cover up for triangles as they enhance the lower part of the body, around the hip area, taking emphasis away from your chest.
The rectangle shape is quite athletic, straight without curves. Swimwear for this body shape should always seek to add curves.
Celeb comparison: Cameron Diaz
- Create the illusion of curves with padded tops, preferably patterned.
- Select pants with details such as ties on the side - the more detail, the bigger the illusion.
- Opt for frills on the hips to enhance your waist.